Prep 5 mins
Cook 336 hrs
This will help relieve sore throats and coughs. I've given 2 other remedies which help too. Adapted from Tao Herb Farm.
- Peel garlic cloves, put into a jar and cover with honey.
- Set in warm place for 2 weeks or more until the garlic turns opaque.
- Take 1 teaspoonful as needed to get relief.
- Dilute with a little water or lemon juice to help it go down easier. Children like it better this way too.
- Variation for sore throat:.
- 2 teaspoons honey.
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice or to taste.
- 1 cup water.
- Boil water, add honey and lemon. Drink to relieve sore throat.
- Another good thing to do when you have a sore throat is:.
- Gargle with hot salt water.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt to 8 ounces of water 4-5 times a day.
I love this recipe however there is a problem/question. My cough is usually gone by 2 weeks. Can I store the honey garlic syrup indefinitely? Where should I store it? Store until garlic turns opaque? The garlic is already opaque. Store until the honey is opaque? I started a jar of this stuff and forgot about it... it's been hanging out on a shelf for almost 6 months. Do I need to worry about botulism?
I am only giving 4 stars until the garlic/honey mix is cured. And we have never tried this part I grew up with the honey/lemon hot drink( so that would get 4 stars) and so have my own kids and so will theirs someday LOL We always use this when we are feeling sniffly and even when we just want a hot comforting drink. We just make it a bit differnt in prep only.My Grammie always just cut the lemon in a spiral and put it whole in a pitcher then added water and honey .That way you had more then a cup LOL I inherited her pitcher but it is so old I use a teapot and have been for 28 years LOL Made for Newest Zaar Tag Dec 2008 Thanks Sharon for posting a recipe that brings back memories and a new non medicine remedy.