Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This crust works great rolled thick or even very thin for a delightfully crispy and sturdy crust. This recipe uses brown rice flour for added nutrients and it is very quick since there is no rising time. If you make the dry mix ahead of time and store in the freezer in individual baggies, you can have your dough in the oven in only 10 mins! This is my own take on Carol Fenster's pizza crust recipe in "Cooking Free." I recommend using this crust to make Margherita Pizza (Gluten Free).
- 14.79 ml active dry yeast
- 158.51 ml brown rice flour
- 118.29 ml tapioca flour
- 9.85 ml xanthan gum
- 4.92 ml gelatin powder
- 3.69 ml dried oregano
- 2.46 ml dried basil
- 1.23 ml garlic powder
- 0.59 ml dried marjoram
- 0.59 ml pepper
- 2.46 ml salt
- 177.44 ml warm water (110 degrees F, microwave about 25 secs)
- 4.92 ml olive oil
- 4.92 ml honey
- 4.92 ml cider vinegar
- sweet rice flour, for rolling
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a mixer, blend dry mix on low until blended. (Make ahead and store in plastic baggies in fridge or freezer).
- Add water, olive oil, honey, and cider vinegar.
- Beat on low for 1 minute, then beat on high for 2 minutes (dough will be very soft and sticky).
- Meanwhile, lightly brush pan with olive oil and dust liberally with sweet rice flour (Thin cookie sheet for thin crust, heavy pizza pan for thicker crust). (NOTE: Air-bake & perforated pans are not recommended.).
- Using a large rubber spatula, scrap down sides of bowl in order to clump dough together and scoop onto prepared pan.
- Liberally sprinkle sweet rice flour on dough and rolling pin cover (sock on rolling pin - or it will stick). Roll out to desired thickness (1/8" produces a delightfully crispy thin crust), continuing to sprinkle with flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Bake crust for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with desired toppings. Bake another 10-25 minutes (depending on thickness of crust - 15 is recommended for a very thin crispy crust).
Made this without the gelatin powder, but it was very gladly received by our little boy. I'll have to try it again after buying gelatin. I didn't think strawberry Jello would substitute well. He was just happy to have pizza with the family! :)