Recipe by peachy_pie
This is a deliciously thick and flavoursome bread - and vegan, lactose and egg free to boot! This makes the BEST ploughman's lunch - slice thickly and pile on a plate with sliced cold meats, cheese, sliced apple or pear and some chutney.
Top Review by Derf
DH loved it, quite a different flavour and a nice change. It is nice alone and as a sandwich, he made a pastrami sandwich, with lettuce etc., and said it was heavan. It has a lovely crunchy crust and a nice soft crumb. I did have to bake it about 15 minutes longer than stated. I used herbs de provence, half, cumin, a quarter and coriander a quarter, for my herbs and olive oil. I probably will make it again, thanks for posting.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- .Lightly grease a loaf tin and set aside. Preheat oven to 400.
- Stir together the flours, baking powder, garlic, herbs, and salt.
- Stir into the dry ingredients the mustard, oil and water until just mixed.
- Pour into the loaf pan and place in the oven. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.