If you like a mellow-flavored mac and cheese, don't add the extra 2 cups cheese; instead, add an extra tablespoon of flour to thicken the sauce. This recipe is easily doubled. To fill a large casserole or 9" x 13" x 2" pan, double all ingredients, EXCEPT those for the crumb topping. Or, for a more generous crumb topping, feel free to double those ingredients, too. Recipe Source: King Arthur Flour
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces about 2 cups uncooked pasta (elbows, trumpets, rigatoni, ditalini, cavatappi, ziti... anything tubular)
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vermont cheese sauce mix
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard powder (optional)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F Grease four 1 1/2 to 2-cup ramekins, or one 2-quart baking dish.
- 2Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente (slightly firmer than you would normally eat it). Drain and rinse with cool water. Set aside.
- 3In a large saucepan set over medium heat, whisk together the Signature Secrets, or flour, milk, and cheese powder. Bring to a boil.
- 4Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and seasonings. Stir occasionally, until cheese is completely melted.
- 5Stir the pasta into the cheese sauce. Spoon it into the baking dish(es).
- 6Melt the butter and garlic oil together, then stir in the pizza seasoning and panko bread crumbs. Sprinkle a thick layer over the pasta and cheese.
- 7Bake the casserole for 25 to 35 minutes, until bubbly and browned. Remove from the oven, and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlic Herb Mac & Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (344 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 609.7
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.7 g
- Cholesterol 54.0 mg
- Sodium 608.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 19.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cheese sauce mix