Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 3 tablespoons snipped chives
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together 1 cup of the flour, the sugar, salt, pepper and yeast.
- Combine the milk, water, and butter in a small, heavy saucepan over low heat and heat until butter is melted.
- With an electric mixer mixer, gradually beat the liquid mixture into the dry mixture for 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs, herbs, and garlic and beat just until incorporated.
- Beat in 1 more cup of flour at low speed and then at high speed for 2 minutes,repeat until a total of 4 cups of flour have been used.
- Beat in just enough additional flour to form a very stiff batter.
- Cover the bowl with a towel, place in a warm place, and allow batter to rise until double in bulk about 1 hour.
- Generously butter a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- With a heavy spoon, punch down the batter and beat it for 30 seconds.
- Transfer the batter to the pan and let rise again until it reaches the top of the pan,about 20 minutes.
- Bake for about 1 hour at 350 degrees.