Recipe by Cooking Ventures
This is a quick and easy way to prepare fried rice. It's garlicky and oh-so-good!
Top Review by ChefDiane2000
I'm half Chinese and looking for Mom's recipe. This was not quite it, but it was a good substitute. I added a little more oil, salt, pepper, and soy sauce to taste and used leftover roast beef instead of ham. I would make this one again. Even my kids ate it and they are picky eaters.
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided use
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrot
- 1⁄2 cup diced ham (or cooked chicken)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups cooked rice, chilled
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 2 scallions, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a small glass dish in the microwave. Add the minced garlic and lemon juice to the melted butter and stir to combine. Set aside to allow the flavors to mingle.
- This dish comes together so fast that EVERYTHING needs to be chopped, measured, and ready to add. Chop the onions and scallions then measure out the peas/carrots, ham, rice, and soy sauce. Finally, you should beat the eggs in a small bowl.
- In a large, non-stick skillet, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until soft – about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the peas and carrots and cook about 3 minutes then add the diced ham or chicken. Cook 1 minute. Push all of the contents of the skillet to one side to keep them from cooking too much. On the empty side of the skillet, add the beaten eggs. Season with a little salt and pepper and scramble until just set. Integrate the eggs with the veggies and move everything back to the edge of the skillet. Quickly add the garlic mixture to the pan and use a spatula to break it up. Cook it about 1 minute or so (longer if you do not want an intense, in-your-face garlic bite). If you are worried about the strong flavor of garlic, you can add the same amount of garlic but add it with the peas and carrots. This will give the garlic ample time to mellow and sweeten by the name everything is cooked.
- Add the cold, cooked rice and mix it in with the other ingredients. Add the soy sauce and stir to combine. Stir it every 30 seconds for about 2 minutes. Add the scallions and stir. Taste for seasoning and add salt, pepper, and/or additional soy sauce, if desired. Stir one last time and transfer everything to a serving bowl.