Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Friedel described these in a Canadian-themed thread, and really sparked my curiousity. I found this recipe on a copycat site, and these sound like something amazing. Just don't plan on any intense kissing after eating these!
- 1 cup fresh garlic, coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Gently saute the garlic in 2 tablespoons butter for about 10 minutes until tender but not brown.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Cut in 4 T butter until mixture is crumbly like cornmeal.
- Add parsley, dill, and milk, stir just until evenly moist.
- Pour into well-greased 8 x 8-inch pan.
- Spread garlic on top, then cover with cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool slightly and cut into fingers.
- For a variation, combine 1 cup of thinly sliced onions in with the garlic before you saute them.
I liked these,but i prefer my garlic fingers thinner then this,i did follow the recipe exactly as posted,but i think maybe a bit larger pan may have made them a little thinner,otherwise they were excellent.Thanks for the posting Mirjam.
What a great recipe for when you really, really feel like garlic bread but there is no bread in the house and making a loaf of bread will take 3 hours. It was very nice not to have to use a garlic press with this too. Mine is dying so the 'rough chop' instruction was appreciated. I made a couple of changes: I substituted olive oil for the butter in the dough as I loathe cutting in butter although I kept the butter for the actual frying. I was also out of milk so I used 1/3 cup of milk powder in with the flour and added water for the liquid. These both worked well and made little difference to the taste.
I LOVED these! I always make homemade breadsticks, and used this recipe when I was running short of time last night. These are a wonderful alternative to my breadsticks! Very moist, and the garlic was splendid! My dh did not care for the cheese (he is lactose intolerant and refuses to take the little pills!), so next time I will try it without the cheese topping. Please pass the breathmints!!!