Recipe by Egyptian John
I've been making this recipe for years, Have always been a lover of Dill pickles but when I couldn't find any I made this recipe!
- 1 kg small cucumber, up to 5 inches long
- 1⁄4 kg sea salt
- 1⁄2 head garlic
- 2 -3 bunches dill
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and prick the cucumbers with a silver fork.
- put a layer into a plastic bowl, then sprinkle with salt until all are covered with salt.
- (leave for approx 4 hrs).
- Put vinegar and water together in a saucepan cook on low heat.
- Thin slice the garlic and add to the vinegar solution, add the dill (or dill seed if you cannot get fresh) 2 teaspoons of coriander seeds, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Take off heat.
- After 4 hours the cucumbers will be saturated with water (the salt dehydrates them ie removes the liquid from the cucumbers).
- Wash the cucumbers 3 times in fresh water, shake dry!
- add to the vinegar mixture.
- The dedhydrated cucumbers absorb this wonderful dill/garlic flavour and believe it or not are ready to eat the next day!