Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 hrs
I've been making this recipe for years, Have always been a lover of Dill pickles but when I couldn't find any I made this recipe!
- Wash and prick the cucumbers with a silver fork.
- put a layer into a plastic bowl, then sprinkle with salt until all are covered with salt.
- (leave for approx 4 hrs).
- Put vinegar and water together in a saucepan cook on low heat.
- Thin slice the garlic and add to the vinegar solution, add the dill (or dill seed if you cannot get fresh) 2 teaspoons of coriander seeds, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Take off heat.
- After 4 hours the cucumbers will be saturated with water (the salt dehydrates them ie removes the liquid from the cucumbers).
- Wash the cucumbers 3 times in fresh water, shake dry!
- add to the vinegar mixture.
- The dedhydrated cucumbers absorb this wonderful dill/garlic flavour and believe it or not are ready to eat the next day!
I made this recipe because it had a few ingredients. It turned out better then anything I could have bought. Taste great even without the garlic. Simple and easy to prepare.
Fantastic my husband Mum useto make these year ago and hubby says these are better than hers and he raved about those all the time
Turned out to be very good. Better after 2nd day. Had to guess a little on the directions. "Prick the cucumbers with a silver spoon" for example. I didn't have a clue so pricked them with a dinner fork. Also, dill probably should have been chopped. Didn't have a plastic bowl so used glass. Worked fine. Will make again next year when gerkins are in season again.