Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A summer side dish right out of you garden! What could be more yummy. Found in Goodhousekeeping
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed fresh parsley or 1⁄4 cup basil leaves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cored and cut crosswise in half
- Arrange oven rack in upper third of oven.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Line broiling pan or cookie sheet with foil In 10" skillet, melt margarine over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute or until fragrant, stirring.
- Remove skillet from heat; stir in bread crumbs, parsley, parmesan, salt, and pepper until mixed Place tomato halves, cut sides up, in prepared pan.
- Top tomatoes with crumb mixture.
- Roast 15 minutes or until tomatoes are heated through and topping is golden.
This was a nice and tasty side dish. I'm a huge tomato lover and am always looking for new ways to spruce them up to add them to a meal. I increased the garlic in this dish and made a lot more than the stated 2 tomatoes. I increased the crumb topping as well, however, it wasn't necessary since I had a LOT of crumb topping left. I used panko breadcrumbs and probably only roasted these about 12 minutes. The only thing I would do differently next time is to maybe drop some minced garlic on each individual tomato before adding the garlic crumb topping. While the topping was amazing...I felt the tomatoes could have used some more seasoning of some sort and garlic is the first one I'd try on my next go-round. Thanks for a great recipe. I'll be trying this dish again!!
THIS is terrific. I could gladly make a meal of only these tomatoes. Only changes I made were to use olive oil and to sprinkle the tomato halves with a seasoning mix before topping with the bread crumb mixture. We're having this again VERY soon.
Very nice and delicious recipe. Makes a great dish for summer. Thanks.