Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
an au grautin version as the potatoes are peeled into thin discs.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 4 garlic cloves (pressed and finely chopped)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In an iron skillet, heat cream and milk to simmer.
- In the meantime, peel the potatoes and slice them into 1/8 inch discs. DO NOT wash them.
- Wipe them with a damp towel.
- Add them to the skillet with the garlic, salt and pepper to taste.
- Return to simmer on stovetop.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until brown crusts forms.
I enjoyed this very much! I cut it down to 1 serving, and used my small 6 inch iron skillet. I cooked at 425 for 25 minutes, then reduced the temp to 350. Mine was getting very brown on top (maybe because of the smaller serving size?) Continued to cook for about 15 minutes. They turned out really good....crispy on bottom and top, and smooth and creamy in the middle. Easy to make and delicious. Thanks for sharing! Made for Holiday Tag game.
Scaled back for 3 serves and used 4 medium Charisma potatoes (low GI potatoes) and we all loved this side dish and I really appreciated the ease in making and cooking the dish. When making again I will do as other reviewers have done and sprinkle with cheese as I think this will also give it a more even colour. Thank you weekend cooker, made for Everyday A Holiday.
These were really really good. I used baby red potatoes, as that's what I had on hand. I also sprinkled chedder cheese on top before putting it into the oven. My family just loved them. Thanks so much for sharing. Made for PRMR 2010.