Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Michael Psilakis and seen on Good Morning America. This keeps in the refrigerator for about 3 weeks. The garlic can be pureed or used whole in recipes. Save the oil (it will be flavored) to make vinaigrette or to drizzle over finished dishes.
- 3 cups garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 fresh bay leaves or 2 dried bay leaves
- 8 -10 sprigs fresh thyme
- kosher salt and whole black peppercorn
- 2 cups blended oil, as needed (50 percent canola, 50 percent extra-virgin olive)
- Halve any garlic cloves that are very large and place all the peeled garlic in a heavy covered pan.
- Add bay leaves, thyme, a tablespoon of kosher salt, and 15 or 20 whole black peppercorns; cover with oil.
- Place cover on pan and braise, in the oven, on 300 degrees F until garlic is tender and golden, about 1 hour or 1 1/4 hours.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Transfer garlic and oil to a sterilized jar and press plastic wrap over the top.
- Place another piece of plastic wrap over the rim of the jar and screw on cover.
- Store up to three weeks in the refrigerator being sure to not contaminate.
- Always use a clean fork or spoon to retrieve garlic or oil from jar and replace plastic wraps.