Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Michael Psilakis and seen on Good Morning America. This keeps in the refrigerator for about 3 weeks. The garlic can be pureed or used whole in recipes. Save the oil (it will be flavored) to make vinaigrette or to drizzle over finished dishes.
- Halve any garlic cloves that are very large and place all the peeled garlic in a heavy covered pan.
- Add bay leaves, thyme, a tablespoon of kosher salt, and 15 or 20 whole black peppercorns; cover with oil.
- Place cover on pan and braise, in the oven, on 300 degrees F until garlic is tender and golden, about 1 hour or 1 1/4 hours.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Transfer garlic and oil to a sterilized jar and press plastic wrap over the top.
- Place another piece of plastic wrap over the rim of the jar and screw on cover.
- Store up to three weeks in the refrigerator being sure to not contaminate.
- Always use a clean fork or spoon to retrieve garlic or oil from jar and replace plastic wraps.