A tasty, garlicky cole slaw! If you prefer slaw that is not sweet, you’ll want to try this one.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced, to taste (see note below)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar (see note #2 below)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon rind (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange rind (optional)
- 1 small cabbage, shredded
- 2 -3 carrots, grated
- 2 green onions, chopped (scallions)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- sugar, to taste (optional, added only if you like your slaw sweet, see note #3 below) (optional)
- 1In a bowl combine the garlic, mayo, vinegar, lemon and orange juice, and lemon/orange rinds (if using, which you should if you can because it’s tasty!). Whisk them together to make the dressing. Set aside.
- 2In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrot, and green onions, and toss well.
- 3Pour the dressing over the coleslaw mix, season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and stir it all together well.
- 4Chill for at least an hour before serving (preferably two). Makes about 4 servings.
- 5Note: you can use roasted or baked garlic in this instead of fresh, too. You will just have to use more of it because it is milder, and add it to the dressing to taste. Chopped roasted red pepper is also a good addition.
- 6Note #2: a good substitute for cider vinegar, if you like a lighter taste, is champagne vinegar. If you've not had champagne vinegar before, give it a try - it's wonderful!
- 7Note: #3: as the recipe description notes, this slaw is not sweet if you do not add the optional sugar. However, if prefer your coleslaw a bit sweet, add the sugar to taste.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlic Coleslaw
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 178.1
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 409.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 3.4 g