Prep 5 mins
Cook 16 hrs
This garlic slaw recipe is from Jane and Michael Stern's "Goodfood" book. It make a lot of "juice" so you might want to strain it before service. Good Stuff Maynard!
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄3 cup garlic-flavored red wine vinegar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 minced fresh garlic cloves (about 2 tablespoons()
- 1 lb cabbage, finely shredded (about 8 cups)
- Whisk together all wet ingredients.
- You can use a cider vinegar if desired and the sugar can be lessened if you desire not such a 'sweet' taste.
- Pour over 8 cups chopped cabbage (or 1 lb prechopped bag of coleslaw mix).
- Place in refrigerator and chill overnight.
- If too 'wet' drain slightly before you serve.
- Take 2 breath mints after -- maybe 4.
- NOTE: I marked it Kosher, but I'm not an expert.
Very good! I also used only half the amount of sugar and I used a bit less cream and a bit more mayo. This recipe is a keeper - thanks!
This Coleslaw was a huge hit! I am very picky about coleslaw. I do not like them too sweet and I do not like them too tangy. I think this recipe was perfect! I did cut the sugar to 1/3 cup though and that was borderline sweet to me so I can only imagine if I were to put the whole 2/3 cup in. My husband now says this is his favorite coleslaw! Thanks for the recipe!
very good, I reduced the whipping cream to 1/2 cup and increased the mayo, also I reduced the sugar slightly, I was going to add in the full amount and I'm glad I didn't as i think it would have been a little to sweet, thanks for sharing andother great recipe Sharon!