Recipe by Harpistic
A very tasty and easy chicken curry. Originally found in BBC's Good Food magazine.
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 cm fresh ginger, finely grated
- cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- 4 tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 80 g spinach, roughly chopped
- butter or oil
- 4 cardamom pods, squashed
- 1 cup basmati rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the onion, chillies, garlic and ginger for 5 minutes in 2 tbsp oil.
- Add the spices and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces, season and cook for 5-7 minutes until they start to colour a little.
- Add the tomatoes and a splash of water.
- Bring to a simmer, then cover for 20 minutes. Add the spinach and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large knob of butter or 1 tbsp oil in a pan with a lid.
- Add the cardamom pods and cook for 2 minutes.
- Tip in the rice, add a large pinch of salt and cook for another minute.
- Add 2 teacups of water using the same cup to measure.
- Bring to the boil, turn down to a gentle simmer and put on the lid. Cook for 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed.
- Fluff, serve and eat.