Recipe by English_Rose
A light chicken curry makes a great midweek meal at any time of year. Adapted from Olive Magazine.
- 1 onion, peeled and very finely chopped
- 4 green chili peppers, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 in piece ginger, finely grated
- sunflower oil or peanut oil
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 1.23 ml turmeric
- 2.46 ml chili powder (more if you want more heat)
- 4 chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 4 tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 85.04 g spinach, roughly chopped
- butter or oil
- 4 cardamom pods, squashed
- 236.59 ml basmati rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the onion, chili peppers, garlic and ginger for 5 minutes in 2 tbsp oil. Add the spices and cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken pieces, season and cook for 5-7 minutes until they start to colour a little. Add the tomatoes, chicken stock cube and a splash of water. Bring to a simmer, then cover for 20 minutes. Add the spinach and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large knob of butter or 1 tbsp oil in a pan with a lid. Add the cardamom pods and cook for 2 minutes, tip in the rice, add a large pinch of salt and cook for another minute. Add 2 cups of water using the same cup to measure. Bring to the boil, turn down to a gentle simmer and put on the lid. Cook for 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Fluff up the rice and serve with the curry.