Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Betty Crocker's New Chicken Cookbook of July 1998. Preparation time does not include freezing.
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder (I prefer adding very finely minced fresh garlic cloves)
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 2 cups corn flakes cereal, crushed (about 1 cup when crushed)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk or 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- Mix butter, chives and garlic powder (or minced garlic); shape into 3x2" rectangle. Cover and freeze about 30 minutes or until firm.
- Heat oven to 425°F Spray 9x9x2" square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Flatten each chicken breast half to 1/4" thickness between plastic wrap or waxed paper.
- Cut chives mixture crosswise into 6 pieces. Place 1 piece on center of each chicken breast half. Fold long sides of chicken over chives mixture; fold up ends and secure with toothpick.
- Mix cereal, parsley and paprika. (I also like to add white pepper to this mixture)
- Dip chicken into buttermilk, then coat lightly and evenly with cereal mixture. Place chicken, seam sides down, in prepared pan.
- Bake, uncovered, about 35 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center.
- Be careful when you cut into the chicken as the butter may squirt unceremoniously over yourself or other guests.
I was just getting set to post this exact recipe. It's a bit of work, but sooooo worth every effort. This is very tasty, and perfect to serve for that 'special' ocassion. I suggest using coloured toothpicks so that they are easier to find after baking.