Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a family favourite and one we eat often in the summer when the barbecue is going. Prep time doesn't include marinating time.
- 1 kg chicken thigh fillet
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 bunch coriander, plants including roots
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Cut the chicken into serving pieces.
- Crush the garlic with the salt.
- Wash well, and finely chop the coriander plants.
- Mix all the seasonings together and rub this mix into the chicken pieces.
- Cover and allow to stand for at least one hour-overnight is better.
- Put on a grill tray (broiler tray) and grill (broil) turning every 5 minutes until the skin is crisp and brown and the chicken is cooked through.
- This could also be cooked on the BBQ over coals.
- Serve with plain steamed rice, and a salad of fresh ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced onion, rock salt and lemon juice to taste.
I loved the raw garlic flavor but my husband didn't enjoy the coriander/cilantro at all. It seemed like it was missing something basic, maybe olive oil?
What's not to like? This is so easy and tasty. Made as written using chicken tenders instead of thighs as that is what I had on hand. They came out so tender after just six hours of marinating. Was a little concerned about using a whole bunch of coriander thinking it may be overpowering, but was pleasantly surprised that it just provided a pleasant background flavor. Will make again. Thanks for the post.