Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A tasty whole chicken. Despite the large amount used, the garlic is not overpowering. From "Great Good Food".
- 3 lbs chicken
- 1 lemon, pricked several times
- 24 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 3 cups chicken broth (canned or homemade)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash and dry chicken.
- Put the lemon inside the cavity of the chicken.
- Place in small roasting pan.
- Cut one of the cloves of garlic in half; rub it into the skin of the breast.
- Rub the breast with the ginger.
- Place chicken in preheated 400 F oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cups broth.
- Bake for 20 minutes more.
- Reduce heat to 375 F.
- Add remaining broth and all the garlic.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes, basting frequently.
- Remove chicken from pan and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes, breast side down.
- Pour the pan juices into a gravy separator to remove fat.
- Mash garlic with fork.
- Over medium-high heat, cook and stir de-fatted juices and garlic until liquid is reduced by half.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- (If desired, thicken a bit more with some cornstarch and water.) Serve sauce with chicken.
Fabulous. The sauce is the star here. Takes the common baked chickie to a much better level. Garlic lovers you have to try this one!!!