Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Not for the faint of heart (or vampires).
- 12 chicken thighs
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 heads garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups white wine
- 3 lemons, quartered
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl and lightly coat with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Crush half of the garlic cloves with the back of a heavy knife.
- Leave the remaining cloves whole.
- Heat 1/2 cup of the oil in a roasting pan large enough to hold the chicken in 1 layer, over 2 burners over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and sear on both sides.
- Add the crushed garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and add the remaining ingredients, stirring well to evenly distribute.
- Cover the pan tightly and roast for 1 hour.
- Uncover and roast until the chicken is brown and tender, and the garlic is caramelized, about 30 minutes, basting occasionally.
- Remove from the oven.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter and sprinkle with the parsley.
- Spoon the pan juices over the chicken, or serve on the side.