Recipe by WiGal
From CookingLight and posted for safekeeping. Timing does not include marinating overnight. Appropriate for Eid celebration. "Eid celebrations include an abundance of dishes full of heady aromas and sweet spices. The yogurt mixture keeps the chicken moist, but it curdles and should be discarded after cooking. Serve the chicken with a basmati rice pilaf tossed with almonds, raisins, and cumin seeds."
Top Review by Annacia
For me this is a 5 star recipe. I adore North African flavors and this fits that cuisine so I knew it was going to be a winner. This is truly excellent for a 45 min dish, the ingredients work beautifully together and create a lovely and memorable (in a very good way) dish. I'm so pleased that I came across this as I usually have all the ingredients on hand and I'll certainly be making it again. :D
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice, fresh
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced (about 6 cloves)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, DIVIDED
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, DIVIDED
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 36 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 6 oz.each
- 1 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine yogurt, juice, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, cardamon, cumin, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large zip top plastic bag.
- Add the chicken; seal.
- Marinate in refrigerator overnight, turning bag occasionally.
- Remove chicken from bag, RESERVING marinade: pat chickn dry with paper towels.
- Combine reserved marinade and broth.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Add half of the chicken to pan; cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Repeat procedure with remaining chicken.
- Return chicken to pan: pour broth mixture over chicken.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Place chicken on a serving platter: discard liquid in pan.
- Sprinkle chicken with parsley.