Recipe by JMigs;0)
I'm sure there are lots of different garlic cheese bread versions, but I think this is slightly different and I just wanted to share it with everyone. I got this recipe quite a few years ago, I think it was from copycat for "black angus garlic cheese bread", anyway I made this for my husband's huge family Thanksgiving potluck about 3 years ago and everyone always asks for the recipe but still asks me to make it for Thanksgiving and Christmas every year since. For potlucks I always make the spread ahead of time since it can stay in the fridge for at least a week or so. I would buy the bread as fresh as possible and spread and bake at the party (it only takes 10 minutes to bake, less the oven warming time). The smell of the garlic and the bread gets to everyone, not to mention ofcourse this is something that tastes best fresh! I have to warn you it's not exactly diet friendly, but here's my modified version of the original recipe: (basically more garlic and different butter)
- 1 loaf sourdough bread, sliced in half
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1⁄4 cup margarine spread (non-hydrogenated spreads)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves (or more to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Puree garlic cloves or press thru garlic press.
- Mix butters, cheeses, mayonnaise, green onions, garlic in a bowl and blend well.
- Spread onto bread halves with mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 7 minutes, then BROIL for about 3 minutes or until brown and bubbly on top.
- Cut into slices and serve.
- *Note: Also, this recipe can be enough for more than one loaf of bread, it just depends on the size you get. I always get safeway's (local grocery store) sourdough and they tend to be on the small side but they are freshly baked.