Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
From Quick Cooking (now called Simple & Delicious). These biscuits taste like the ones I love at Red Lobster. Shredded cheddar cheese adds nice color, and a tasty butter mixture brushed on top of these drop biscuits provides a burst of garlic flavor.
Top Review by TheCookingNurse
Delish! These little guys are the perfect accompaniment to soup or stew. We had them with a chili-like soup. (Has rice instead of beans) I was a little nervous about 3 tsp garlic powder, but you didn't need to be! Don't leave outthe chicken boullion granules...they add a depth than is essential in making these so flavorful. Fluffy on the inside, a little crunchy on the outside. I'm under strict orders to have the fixin's for these on hand at all times! lol I've tried making these with the dry mixes, but found them to be quite bland. The buttermilk makes a light, fluffy biscuit. Enjoy!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1⁄2 cup butter flavor shortening
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, baking.
- powder, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon bouillon; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add cheese.
- Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls 1 inches apart onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 450 for 10 minutes.
- Combine butter with remaining garlic powder; brush over biscuits.
- Bake 4 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.
- Yield: about 1 dozen.