This Puerto Rican recipe is a yummy alternative to plain old potatoes. I find that frying it in a light oil blend, like corn or peanut oil with sunflower oil, makes for less grease left clinging to the finished product.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the garlic, thyme and oil. Set aside.
- 2Peel the yucca and cut it in "steak fry" strips (about 1 inch wide). Yucca can be hard to cut, but I've found a cleaver makes this part go faster.
- 3Boil the salted water in a large soup pot, add the yucca, and cook for 30 minutes. Do not overcook; the yucca should have a firm texture. Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- 4Heat the oil in a heavy skillet. Sauté the yucca until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- 5Arrange the strips on a platter, and pour the garlic oil over the "fries".
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlic Cassava Fries
Serving Size: 1 (452 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 848.5
- Calories from Fat 496
- Total Fat 55.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1201.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: