Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
The garlic butter blend can be used for scampi or escargot by simply broiling shrimp or the snails in it! Copied from a community cookbook.
For the garlic butter blend
- 236.59 ml unsalted butter
- 4-5 large garlic cloves
- 2.46 ml oregano
- salt, to taste
- 1.23 ml garlic powder
- 1.23-2.46 ml basil (optional)
For garlic butter bread
- 1 loaf French bread or 1 loaf Italian bread
- olive oil, to coat bread
- Melt butter in saucepan over low heat and remove from heat.
- Crush garlic in press and add it to melted butter. Cook over medium heat, watching carefully not to let garlic burn, about 3-5 minutes, in a slow simmer. Stir in dried spices. Remove from heat.
- Add salt to taste.
- *If using as a sauce, use to coat and cook in broiler.
- If making bread, use immediately on bread cut on the diagonal into slices or on a bread cut in half lengthwise. Add some olive oil and wrap in foil. Bake at 350 degrees F. about 20 minutes.
We really enjoyed this garlic butter which enabled me to use fresh garlic, basil and oregano from the garden and gave it a wonderful flavour, I omited the garlic powder though and I did use 8 cloves of garlic because we just love it and at the moment being so fresh is lovely and sweet. I didn't have a baguette so just used some wholemeal/wholegrain rolls to make the garlic bread which unfortunately don't work as well as a baquette but still tasted very good. Thank you Oolala, made for Bargain Basement tag game.