Recipe by blucoat
This recipe's full name is Lynne's Homage to California Cuisine: Garlic Bread, Green Bean and Tomato Salad and it is from "The Italian Country Table: Home Cooking from Italy's Farmhouse Kitchens" by Lynne Rossetto Kasper. Just add some cheese to the salad to make it a complete meal. Lynn suggests using chunk of Vela Dry Jack.
- 1 large garlic clove, split
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 6 quarts pot half full of boiling salt water
- 3 slices coarse grain bread, 1/2-inch-thick, toasted and still warm
- 2 medium delicious ripe tomatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub a serving bowl with the garlic, reserving half the clove. Drop beans into boiling water and boil, uncovered. Taste after 5 minutes. When tender and beginning to lose their crispness, drain and sprinkle with salt. Turn into the bowl.
- Rub the warm toast with the reserved garlic and tear into irregular, bite-sized pieces. Add tomatoes. Gently toss with olive and vinegar. Season with to taste salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.