Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe's full name is Lynne's Homage to California Cuisine: Garlic Bread, Green Bean and Tomato Salad and it is from "The Italian Country Table: Home Cooking from Italy's Farmhouse Kitchens" by Lynne Rossetto Kasper. Just add some cheese to the salad to make it a complete meal. Lynn suggests using chunk of Vela Dry Jack.
- 1 large garlic clove, split
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 6 quarts pot half full of boiling salt water
- 3 slices coarse grain bread, 1/2-inch-thick, toasted and still warm
- 2 medium delicious ripe tomatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Rub a serving bowl with the garlic, reserving half the clove. Drop beans into boiling water and boil, uncovered. Taste after 5 minutes. When tender and beginning to lose their crispness, drain and sprinkle with salt. Turn into the bowl.
- Rub the warm toast with the reserved garlic and tear into irregular, bite-sized pieces. Add tomatoes. Gently toss with olive and vinegar. Season with to taste salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.
My family loves this recipe! It tastes delicious and is beautiful.