Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Sounds difficult, but once you get the hang of it, it's actually quite easy. This bread dresses up Italian meals, and it disappears fast! Make two loaves for company!
- 1 loaf Italian bread or 1 loaf French bread, unsliced
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 garlic clove, smashed (add another if desired)
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Slice loaf, LEAVING CRUST INTACT, into slices.
- It is important NOT to slice through the bottom.
- Set aside.
- Mix butter with other ingredients.
- Allow to sit on counter a while, so flavors travel all through the butter.
- Take a length of foil, and place loaf lengthwise on the foil.
- Very gently, spread slices apart, being careful not to break bottom, and spread with butter mixture.
- When all slices are spread, use any leftover butter to spread the top of the loaf.
- Wrap sides of foil up.
- Leave top UNCOVERED.
- Twist ends of foil.
- Bake on tray for about 20-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- This is great with spaghetti or lasagna.
- When baking lasagna, just put it in with the lasagna for the last half hour of baking time.
Finally a garlic bread recipe garlicy enough for me! I loved the addition of the cheese in the spread.
This was delicious, it turned out great on my first try. :) Thank you. Only difference is that I used two cloves of garlic instead of one, and it was just fine to me.
Excellent recipe. I made as directed, adding a couple extra cloves of garlic for more intense flavor. Then, I sliced the bread down the middle and slathered the whole loaf with the butter mixture instead of putting it on individual slices. Then, I closed it up and baked as directed. We all loved it.