1/2 Photos of Garlic-Braised Beef Shanks
4 hrs 25 mins
This is a gorgeous dinner for fall and winter. The slow simmering creates a silky gravy perfect for serving with potatoes. Times do not include chilling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 beef shanks (1 1/2-inch-thick, 6 lbs)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth (14 fl oz)
- 2 cups water
- 4 large heads of garlic, 1/4 inch of root end cut off and discarded to expose cloves
- 2 slices fresh lemon zest (4-inch-long)
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 turkish bay leaves (or 1 California)
- 3 celery ribs, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 3 large carrots, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- 1Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Pat shanks dry and rub all over with salt and pepper.
- 3Dredge shanks in flour, turning to coat. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then brown shanks on all sides in 3 batches, adding 1/2 tablespoon oil if necessary, 5 to 6 minutes per batch.
- 4Transfer shanks to a large roasting pan.
- 5Add broth and water to skillet and bring to a boil, scraping up brown bits.
- 6Nestle garlic (cut sides down), zest, thyme, and bay leaves with celery and carrots around shanks in pan and add broth mixture. Cover surface with a sheet of parchment paper and tightly cover pan with foil. Transfer to oven and braise until meat is very tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- 7Skim off and discard fat from cooking liquid and cool mixture completely, uncovered, about 1 hour, then chill, covered, at least 6 hours.
- 8Preheat oven to 350°F (leave rack in middle position).
- 9Skim off and discard any remaining fat from surface of pan juices and reheat shank mixture, covered, in oven, turning shanks over once, 1 hour.
- 10Discard bay leaf, thyme sprigs, and zest. Transfer shanks and vegetables with garlic to a serving dish and keep warm, covered.
- 11If pan juices measure more than 3 cups, boil in a cleaned 12-inch skillet until reduced; if less, add water. Squeeze garlic pulp from 1 head into pan juices, discarding skin, and whisk to incorporate.
- 12Add lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- 13Pour sauce over shanks and serve, along with vegetables and remaining garlic heads.
- 14Cooks' note: Braised shank mixture can be chilled, covered, up to 2 days.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlic-Braised Beef Shanks
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 129.2
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1209.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium beef broth
fresh lemon zest
fresh thyme sprigs
turkish bay leaves