Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Rich, Garlicy, Creamy, Cheesy, mashed potatoes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup vermouth or 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano or parsley)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 lb blue cheese
- 6 cups mashed potatoes
- 1⁄4 lb crumbled blue cheese
- In a large pan heat oil over medium high heat. Add onions, and garlic stirring all the while cooking about 4 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with vermouth.
- Add salt, pepper flakes, herbs, and nutmeg.
- Add milk and 1/2 pound blue cheese cook till melted.
- Add potatoes and mix together.
- Toss in crumbled blue cheese for texture.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
This is a very tasty variation on mashed potatoes! I used half and half to mash the potatoes, used Italian seasoning for the dried herbs, used white wine instead of vermouth, and used .5 lb blue cheese total, rather than .75 lb. It's such a strange thing...I really don't like blue cheese on its own, but I like recipes that include it! Weird. Thanks for the recipe!