Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A tender sandwich that slow cooks in your oven or your crock.
- 4 lbs lean steak, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 heads garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large red onion, sliced into rings
- 10 large black olives, sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) cancrushed tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a 3 quart glass baking dish with a cover, layer meat, minced garlic, bay leaves, onion slices, and black olives.
- Pour the crushed tomatoes evenly over the top, then top with olive oil.
- Cover with foil or glass lid and bake for 3 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve as sandwiches on Kaiser or French rolls.
This really hit the spot! The only thing I did different was instead of onion rings, I cut the onion in quarters and then sliced thinly. I also served on Kaiser Rolls. What a great sandwich. :-)
This was really good s'kat. I've been trying to catch up on posting my reviews and realized I hadn't done so on this yet. I used stew meat so that the "cubing" was already done for me and added garlic as always. I served this on fresh kaiser rolls along with my potato salad for an early Saturday night dinner, the recipe was a great hit. Thank you for posting this!
Very nice. I used a chuck roast and cubed it into large cubes and instead of cooking in the oven, I cooked on 'low', in the crockpot, then shredded the meat for the kaiser rolls. It did make quite a bit of juice, so I drained most of it before shredding and served the drained juice along side, for dipping. Like a french dip sandwich. Added a slice of Provolone cheese to the sandwich. Turned out great. Thanks, S'kat, for a delicious and simple meal. BTW...it's even better, left over.