Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This was on the back of some bone cookie cutters I bought, my dogs loved them!
- 2 cups whole meal flour or 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1 beef stock cube, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup hot water
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add wet ingredients & stir well.
- Roll out onto a well floured surface to 1cm thickness.
- Cut out desired shapes and place on place 1-2cm apart on a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Bake on centre rack of oven at 140.C for about 2 hours until dry & very hard.
- Let cool completely before storing in an air-tight container.
I had to improvise a bit because I told my 9-year old that I was going to make these dog bisquits and she wanted to do it - that instant. So - I did not have corn meal and instead added an extra 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup of bulgur (I know.. but I thought the texture was somewhat the same and know it is used in other recipes) and flax seed intead of wheat bran, and chicken instead of beef. Our dog seems to love them and my daugther made the dough, rolled it out and cut out the bisquits by herself without any help - so also a good pliable dough. We will be making these again and I will then try to add more of the right ingredients. We did not add the garlic. We baked them for 70 min and let sit in the oven for another 40 min to dry further
I left out the garlic since it's a member of the onion family and can make dogs anemic. Otherwise I had the guys surrounding me for seconds and thirds. Even the picky eater had some.
Very easy to make and my dogs liked these homemade treats. They like Yummy Doggie Scones better. I think because the treats stay soft and has a more cakey texture. This recipe is very quick to throw together. I had these in the oven for about a hour and thought they were slightly over done. They were very dry and crispy, but I believe that is how they are suppose to turn out. I will make these again for the ease and to treat my dogs to something homemade instead of store bought. Made for July 2010 Aus/NZ Make My Recipe Tag Game.