Recipe by Debilyn_Ks
This is one my families favorites. I have made it up early in the day, upto adding the roasted garlic and the cornstarch mixture. Then just reheat on the stovetop and continued with the recipe at supper time. Prep and cook times are estimates.
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
Made just as directed, using the balsamic vinegar, & the final result was amazing! The beef was tender, well seasoned & highly complimented by both the richness off the balsamic & the fresh roasted garlic. We're looking foward to making it again during the cooler months. We served it over tricolor corkscrew pasta with a side of steamed broccoli, carrots & cauliflower. Thank you for a delicious new recipe, Debilyn! Made & enjoyed for Fall 2009 Pick A Chef. You've been adopted! :) http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=310505&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
- 1 whole garlic head
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 lbs stew meat, trimmed of fat and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups beef broth (14 ounce can)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 2 teaspoons onion powder or 2 teaspoons dried onion
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove papery outer layers from garlic bulb. Cut off about 1/4 inch from top of bulb, leaving the bulb intact but exposing the individual cloves. Place garlic in center of a 12-inch square of foil. Drizzle garlic with olive oil. Seal foil around garlic; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degree F.
- In an ovenproof Dutch oven brown half the meat in hot cooking oil. Remove meat with slotted spoon; brown the remaining meat. Drain off excess fat. Return all meat to pot. Stir in the beef broth, the 1/2 cup water, the Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic and dried marjoram.
- Cover and bake along with wrapped garlic for 35 minutes. Remove garlic from oven. Cover and cook about 55 minutes longer or until meat is just tender.
- Remove meat from oven add roasted garlic. In a small bowl or cup, stir the 1/4 cup cold water into cornstarch; add vinegar of choice and mix until well combined. Add to meat. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Serve with noodles or rice.