Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Lots of garlic and a hint of balsamic vinegar makes a delish crock pot stew.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces, 6 pieces, mix of thighs and breasts, skin removed
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 0.5 (750 g) package frozen green beans
- 5 plum tomatoes or 4 regular tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- Place the chicken in a 5 or 6-quart crock pot. Combine the wine, tomato paste, garlic, basil, oregano and salt in a small bowl; pour over chicken. Add the chicken broth, reserving 1/4 cup of it. Cover and cook until the chicken is tender, 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low. Cover and refrigerate the remaining chicken broth.
- About 40 minutes before the cooking time is up, wisk the reserved chicken broth , the vinegar, and flour in a small cup until smooth. Gradually stir the flour mixture into the liquid in the crock pot without disturbing the chicken. Add the beans and sliced tomatoes in layers. Cover and cook on high until the mixture simmers and the beans are tender, about 35 minutes.
- Serve over egg noodles or rice.
This was a nice chicken crockpot dish, meaning no cream of "chicken, mushroom, etc...). I used frozen chicken breasts but I may take the plunge and use some thighs to add moisture, not a fan of dark meat. I will add carrots next time instead of green beans and double the sauce. Seve over rice. Made for PAC Spring 2012.
Thanks to pic a chef I found this nice recipe to try.
Because my crock pot broke I chose to make this on top of our stove. With the time I had I chose to just through it all in our pot bring it to a boil then simer for an hour.
My DH does not care for beens I chose to use carrots to this recipe.
Great recipe to try!