Recipe by Missy Wombat
This recipe is by Alison Roberts and was in AGT. You can use parsley if you don't have fresh basil.
Top Review by Gumboot Gourmet
Great risotto! There is no stock in the list of ingredients so I just added stock til the risotto was done, probably about 3-4 cups. I also added 1/2 cup of white wine at the beginning of cooking the risotto. When I roasted the tomatoes & I just used regular field tomatoes, I sprinkled them with about 2 tsps of dried basil.
- 250 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, halved,finely chopped
- 220 g arborio rice (1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup loosely packed shredded fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the cherry tomato halves in a single layer on lined tray.
- Place garlic on tray.
- Drizzle the tomatoes with 1 tsp of the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast tomatoes and garlic in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until tomatoes shrivel around edges and garlic is soft.
- Remove from oven and squeeze garlic from skin, chop roughly and place in a small bowl.
- Set aside.
- Bring the stock just to the boil in a saucepan.
- Reduce heat and hold the stock at a gentle simmer.
- Heat remaining oil in a medium heavy-based saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes or until onion is soft and light golden.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until lightly coated with oil.
- Add a ladleful of the simmering stock to the rice and use a wooden spoon to stir constantly over medium-low heat until the liquid is completely absorbed.
- Continue to add the stock, a small ladleful (about ¼ cup) at a time, stirring constantly, and allow liquid to be absorbed before adding the next ladleful.
- Cook until rice is tender yet firm to the bite and risotto is creamy.
- Start tasting after about 15 minutes- it will probably take about 20-25 minutes to cook and should be moist and creamy when finished.
- Remove the risotto from the heat and add the garlic, basil and parmesan, and stir gently to combine.
- Taste and season with salt (if needed) and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes and fold through the rice gently.
- Spoon into serving bowls and serve immediately sprinkled with a little extra pepper.