Recipe by PanNan
I don't remember where this recipe came from. It's a good one, especially if you love that roasted garlic flavor, and I'd love to give proper credit.
Top Review by chia
simply delicious and so easy to prepare. i wanted to serve this tomorrow, chilled, but my family was drawn into the kitchen by the wonderful aroma of roasted garlic, and had to have it hot. we enjoyed it very much. i plan to take some cold soup to work tomorrow and wiil cut some fresh chives into it. i also added freshly ground white pepper. great recipe
- 1 head garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions
- 4 medium potatoes (about 1 1/4 lbs)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- At least 1 1/2 hours before serving preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove any loose papery skin from garlic, leaving head intact.
- Place garlic in small baking dish; pour olive oil over garlic.
- Cover and bake garlic 1 hour.
- Cool garlic until easy to handle.
- Separate garlic head into cloves.
- Press soft, cooked garlic from each clove into small bowl; discard skin.
- Reserve 1 tbsp olive oil from roasted garlic.
- Dice onions.
- In 4 qrt saucepan over medium high heat, in reserved olive oil, cook onions until golden brown and tender.
- Peel and dice potatoes.
- Add to onions in saucepan with garlic, chicken broth, and 3 cups water; over high heat, heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Spoon half of potato mixture into blender; cover and blend at low speed until smooth.
- Pour mixture into bowl.
- Repeat with remaining potato mixture.
- Note: Use an immersion blender instead if you have one.
- Return all to sauce pan.
- Add half and half cream and heat soup to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Serve soup hot or refrigerate to serve chilled soup later.