Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Wanted to save this recipe so I don't lose it.
Make and share this Garlic and Potato Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 head roasted garlic (or 1/3 bulb raw garlic)
- 1 lb potato (the type that will mash)
- 1 large onion
- 1 bouillon cube
- 1 liter water
- 15 ml olive oil or 15 ml sunflower oil
- 100 ml creme fraiche or 100 ml cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh herb, chopped (e.g. parsley, chevril, dill, chives)
- Gently heat the oil in a large pan.
- If using roasted garlic, separate the cloves and squeeze out the paste into the pan.
- If using raw garlic, peel the cloves and chop them roughly, before adding to the pan.
- Stir well and cover. Cook gently while you peel and chop the onion. Add the onion to the pan and stir. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Wash the potatoes and chop them into small cubes. It's up to you whether you peel them. Add them to the pan. Stir well to coat with oil. Cover and cook gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the water & the stock cube and simmer the soup gently for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- If you want, you can liquidise the soup at this stage, using a hand blender.
- Remove from the heat and stir through the herbs and creme fraiche / cream cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with chunks of bread.
I didn't completely follow the directions, but the soup was fantastic. I followed the recipe until step 4. I added sausage with the potatoes and I did not add the cream cheese. I completely forgot which herb I added, but it was probably parsley. I may try chives next time. I'm going to add chopped up Kale next time too. I used chicken stock instead of a bouillon cube too. About 8 cups I think. Very nice soup.