Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A low-fat carrot side dish.
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Combine everything EXCEPT the lemon juice in a medium saucepan; cook, uncovered, over medium heat, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Stir often until carrots are tender and a little liquid is remaining.
- Stir in the lemon juice and serve.
A delight combination of sweet and savory made this easy side dish a sure winner. I made two substitutions to make this consistent with the WW Core program, both changes are common for me and work well here. Instead of sugar, I used Stevia and also replaced the margarine with ButterBuds sprinkled on after the carrots were cooked (just before adding the lemon juice. Loved the way the broth, garlic and shallots intermixed with the natural sweetness of the carrots and the citrus served a the perfect bond for the contrasting flavors. These will definitely be added to my busy night repertoire. Made for the "I recommend" Tag Game.
What a delicious recipe, so good and different from plain carrots, and quick and easy also. I didn't have shallots, but I did have some mild Vidalia onions and they worked well. Will make this again many times.
These are good! I only made 2 servings and I omitted the shallots. Nice combination of flavors. Sweet, savory, tart. It's nice to have another vegetable option. Thanks! I served these with corned beef.