Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Per Vegetarian Times, "This brothy soup provides heart healthful nutrition on many levels: kale and garlic are good for the cardiovascular system; wheat berries are high in fiber; and shiitake mushroom contain an amino acid that speeds up processing of cholesterol in the liver." You need to plan ahead to make this, as the wheat berries require an overnight soak. WOW was this a yummy and simple soup. . .made with fresh ingredients. Love it!!! Even my meat eating neighbor ate it up. The kale gives it a little of a tangy flavor.
- 1⁄2 cup wheat berries
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1⁄2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup white wine (may sub brown rice vinegar)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 10 ounces kale
- salt and pepper
- Soak wheat berries in large bowl of cold water overnight.
- Heat oil in 2 qt saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and season with salt, if desired. Saute mushrooms 10 minutes or until beginning to brown.
- Add garlic and saute 2 minutes more.
- Sir in white wine and simmer until vinegar is almost evaporated, stirring to scrape up browned bits from pan.
- Drain wheat berries and add to mushroom mixture with vegetable broth and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add kale, and cook 10-20 minutes more, or until kale is tender. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
I tried very hard to enjoy this soup but the garlic was too overpowering - I kept thinking about the healthful benefits. I will make this again but cut down on the garlic. Made for Aus/NZ Swap #39