Prep 0 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe is from my time as a chef assistant at a cooking school while assisting Nell Newman's class (Paul Newman's daughter). I loved all her recipes she shared with us including stories about her Dad. Although arugula salad offers a textural and taste contrast with rich souffle, you can skip arugula salad if you prefer. If you cannot find morel or chanterelle mushrooms, use any combination of mushrooms. Green Garlic can be found in farmer's market and also you can grow them. If not available, please substitute scallions, chopped and 4 - 5 garlic cloves, minced to make 1 1/2 cups required for the recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup gruyere cheese
- 5 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 1⁄2 cups green garlic, white and light green parts, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 4 eggs, large, separated
- 5 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon parsley, chopped
- 2 cups chanterelle mushrooms, and
- morel, brushed clean
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups arugula
- Melt 1 T butter and green garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice and water in a saucepan. Cook at a simmer for about 10 minutes, covered. Raise heat and cook additional 5 minutes until liquid has evaporated. Add milk and puree in blender for 1 minute.
- Preheat oven to 425 F or 218 C degrees.
- Melt 4 T butter over low heat and add flour to make a roux. Add thyme, parsley, and slowly add garlic puree from step 1. Stir until thick and smooth.
- Add Gruyere cheese and 2 T Parmesan. Let it cool.
- Lightly butter 6 (4 oz) ramekins and dust with remaining Parmesan cheese. Beat egg whites to soft peaks and fold half into garlic mixture until barely combined. Fold in the other half and spoon into ramekins.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes until puffed and lightly browned. Serve with warm mushrooms over lightly dressed baby arugula.
- For Mushrooms:.
- Heat 4 T olive oil in pan large enough to hold all mushrooms in one layer and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Shake pan and stir. Salt and pepper to taste.
- For Arugula:.
- Dress arugula with 6 T olive oil, 2 tsp balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Plate with mushrooms and souffles.