1/2 Photos of Garlic and Cream Mashed Potatoes
1 hr 20 mins
Kozmic Blues's Note:
This dish is a great time saver, since it can be prepared totally in advance and reheated just before the meal. It's also great because you can play around with the seasonings to suit your family's taste ie: more garlic, or onion, or both! I also think the flavor of these potatoes tastes great using the low fat versions of cream cheese and sour cream. However, when I make these for holiday meals such as Thanksgiving or Christmas, I sometimes use regular sour cream and cream cheese. If I'm using chives for garnish, I like to mix in about 1/4 cup right into the cream cheese/sour cream mixture as I heat it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (Yukon Gold are nice to use as well)
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 8 ounces low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 -4 teaspoons onion powder or 2 -4 teaspoons garlic powder or 2 -4 teaspoons dried roasted garlic
- salt and pepper
- chopped scallions or chives, for garnish
- 1In a large pot, cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil.
- 2Reduce heat to medium and cook potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, heat cream cheese, sour cream, milk and 2-4 tsp of the spice of your choice, over low heat until smooth.
- 5After potatoes are drained, return to pot and begin to mash a bit with a potato masher.
- 6Add half of the cream cheese mixture, and continue mashing, adding more of the liquid as needed.
- 7Combine well, add salt and pepper to taste.
- 8Spoon mixture into a light greased 2 qt caserole dish.
- 9At this point, the dish can be covered and refrigerated until ready to use.
- 10Remove potatoes from fridge about 30 minutes before baking.
- 11Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 12Remove cover and bake for about an hour, or until heated through.
- 13Top with chopped scallions or chives, and serve.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlic and Cream Mashed Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (445 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 409.2
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 34.2 mg
- Sodium 136.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 11.5 g