1/2 Photos of Garlic and Citrus Roast Chicken
1 hr 45 mins
I found this recipe, created by Giada De Laurentiis, on the Food Network website. It was featured in her show Everyday Italian, in an episode titled Feel Good Food. It had 387 reviews with a overall total rating of 5 stars (out of a possible 5). So I had to try it and was pleasantly surprised. It's very easy to prepare, and it produces a tasty, moist roasted chicken. The sauce was great served over rice, too. For this recipe, you'll need kitchen string or butcher twine.
My Private Note
whole r ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole roasting chicken, 5 to 6 pounds, neck and giblets discarded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 orange, quartered
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 head garlic, halved crosswise
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1Position the rack in the center of the oven, and preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Pat the chicken dry and sprinkle the cavity with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with the orange wedges, lemon wedges, and garlic halves. Tie the chicken legs together with kitchen string to help hold its shape. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
- 3Place a rack in a large roasting pan. Place the chicken, breast side up, on the rack in the pan. Roast the chicken for 1 hour, basting occasionally and adding some chicken broth to the pan, if necessary, to prevent the pan drippings from burning.
- 4Whisk the orange juice, lemon juice, oil, oregano, and chopped garlic in a medium bowl to blend. Brush some of the juice mixture over the chicken, after it has baked for 1 hour. Continue roasting the chicken until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the innermost part of the thigh registers 170°F, basting occasionally with the juice mixture and adding broth to the pan, about 45 minutes longer.
- 5Transfer the chicken to a platter. Tent with foil while making the sauce (do not clean the pan).
- 6Place the same roasting pan over medium-low heat. Whisk in any remaining broth and simmer until the sauce is reduced to 1 cup, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Strain into a 2-cup glass measuring cup and discard the solids. Spoon the fat from the top of the sauce.
- 7Serve the chicken with the pan sauce.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlic and Citrus Roast Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (252 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 594.0
- Calories from Fat 366
- Total Fat 40.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 162.5 mg
- Sodium 581.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 42.2 g