Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This past weekend I went on a camping trip and my assignment was to bring the potato salad. I wanted it to be absolutely perfect so I started messing around with recipes the week before and threw out a few batches before I came up with this. The roasted potatoes enhance the flavor of the garlic and bacon and makes this a great tasting combination. This is best made at least a day ahead so that the bacon flavor can really combine and penetrate the potatoes. Everyone absolutely loved it and I hope you do to.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 lbs russet potatoes, washed and diced with skin on roughly the same size
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes, if desired (optional)
- 6 slices bacon, cooked till crisp and crumbled
- 2 celery ribs, washed and cut in half and diced
- 1⁄2 red onion, finely chopped
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the oil, garlic cloves, salt, pepper in a large bowl.
- Add potatoes a few handfuls at a time tossing to coat with each addition.
- Spread out onto a baking sheet that has been sprayed with pan coat and bake for 45 minutes, sitrring every 15 minutes. Take out of the oven and let cool on the baking sheet.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl with a wire whisk or fork combine the mayonaisse, white wine vinegar, dijon mustard, and parsley flakes if using.
- In the larger bowl add the cooled potato cubes, bacon, celery, and red onion. Add the dressing and toss the potatoes to coat. Check to make sure there is enough salt and pepper and adjust to your tastes.
- Best if refrigerated overnight.
This is a great base for a roasted potato salad. I did it pretty much the same, except I did not use celery. I used roasted poblano and red peppers. I also grilled some corn and put it in. I cooked the red onion down with the bacon fat, I used ranch dressing instead of mayo. It was fantastic. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
love it yum
This was a hit at our 4th of July party at the lake! I ended up adding more dressing since I didn't serve it when planned. I also added more bacon for the boys because they love it! Thanks for sharing this recipe, Heidi!