Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
An adopted recipe, Original Intro States: This Garlic Mayonnaise is typical of Catalonia and the Balearic Islands in Spain. It is usually served with bread as an appetizer. It can also be used to accompany grilled fish and meats.
- In a blender or a food processor, puree garlic with egg.
- Mix oil with lemon juice in a pouring jar.
- With motor running, add oil mixture slowly in a thin stream.
- Add salt and pepper and whirl an additional 10 seconds.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
- If the mixture separates or does not thicken, correct it as follows: Pour all but 1 tablespoon of separated mayonnaise into another container.
- Add 1 tablespoon water to remaining tablespoon of mayonnaise in food processor.
- With motor running, add separated mayonnaise slowly; mixture should regain right consistency- if not, try again.
- It is best to prepare this the day before, to allow flavors to mingle and mellow out.
This is the first time I have tried making aioli. It was really easy and turned out to be a nice accompaniment to the cold poached salmon I made for lunch. I would caution people to heed Meanie's warning about using a fruity olive oil. I used a (non fruity) extra virgin olive oil and found that the flavour of it was really competing with the other ingredients. Next time I will be much more careful about the oil I select. As with all Mean Chef recipe's, the amounts and instructions are bang on. Thanks!
Real alioli in Spain is mashed garlic untill it become a thick paste. Its amazing. One good thing of living in Spain. Its super popular everywhere here. It is amazing on Patatas Bravas or even adding it to hamburgers
this was easy to make. and it was very very good. I couldn't find a fruity olive oil... so i used the regular kind. and it was really good.