Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
The fat cat's favorite! Adapted from a recipe in a cookbook.
For The Lasagna
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 lb lasagna noodle, cooked
- 1⁄2 lb grated mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
For the sauce
- 1 3⁄4 cups tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped vegetables (such as mushrooms, celery, spinach, or onions)
- Mix the ricotta, parmesan, egg, and basil in a bowl. Add in the salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 13"x9" pan (2" deep) with cooking spray. Take the noodles and set them non-overlapping in the bottom of the pan. Spread half the cheese mixture over the noodles. Now spread some tomato sauce over the cheese. Sprinkle mozzarella on top. Repeat until you have a layer of noodles resting at the top of the pan, at which point you may add the remainder of the sauce and bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cool for ten minutes, then serve. (Note: This is not really intended for cats.).
This lasagna was pretty good. I loved that it had so many extra veggies in it and that my kids didn't really realize they were eating them. I didn't follow this exactly, because I used Baking Barb's recipe for Recipe #507109 as the sauce and just added the veggies in at the end of the cook time with that. I thought that the celery taste was too strong in this recipe and if I make this again I will leave that out. Also, I'm apparently one of those weird people who don't like ricotta, so I would use cottage cheese next time. And yes I know, send on the hissing and booing. It's my family's preference, so someone else may love the ricotta. Thank you for something different than my normal lasagna Baking*Belle! Made for PAC Spring 2014.