Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
A decadent egg bread filled with Parmesan and fresh herbs. The 'for now' is because I can never find my FAVORITE recipe and I am posting my 2nd favorite 'for now'. I will post my favorite when I find it again...as I am always losing it and it is currently lost...again. Geez!
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups flour
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese (or other hard cheese)
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs, minced (chives, basil, thyme, rosemary)
- Heat milk and butter until butter melts, then pour into a large bowl.
- Add sugar, salt, and 2 cups of flour.
- Mix until blended, then add eggs and mix again.
- Be sure mixture is not over 110 degrees before adding yeast, remaining flour, cheese, and herbs.
- Knead on floured counter for about 5 minutes, place back into bowl and cover.
- Let rise for about 1 hour or until doubled.
- Halve the dough and form into balls and place on cookie sheet - be sure they aren't touching.
- Cover and let rise again (about 35-45 minutes), then bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Before baking, loaves can be brushed with egg (1 egg mixed with 2 T. water) and sprinkled with additional herbs.