Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 mins
This is a work in progress . . . It's good ! I've used my falaffle recipe as a spring board
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans (soaked overnight)
- 1 cup brown rice (cooked al dente)
- 1⁄4 cup Bulgar wheat (soaked in water)
- 1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats (soaked in water)
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed meal
- 1 onion, chopped fried to caramelize
- 1 lb fresh mushroom, chopped & steamed
- 3 large raw garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 ounces finely grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Soak all of the grains for 30 minutes in enough water to cover them.
- Drain excess water off before using.
- Run the soaked garbanzo beans through the grater on your food processor.
- Remove to separate bowl.
- Saute onions until lightly browned and soft.
- Chop everything else in the food processor with the regular blade until pretty fine.
- Add spices, salt, flour, baking powder and pulse to mix.
- Dump ground garbanzo beans in and pulse until combined. You want this mixture fine, but not a mush.
- Stir in the finely shredded cheese and either form into patties or roll out between two pieces of wax paper.
- Cut rounds with a round cookie cutter (3- 3.5" diameter).
- Heat a (high sided) fry pan with 1/2 " of oil and gently slide 3-4 garden burgers in at a time. Brown quickly on both sides and drain on paper towels.
- Eat . . . or cool and freeze. Makes one dozen 2.5 oz garden burgers.