Recipe by CabinKat
I love garden bell peppers and when my sister told me about stuffing hers with vegetables I thought, what a great idea. She uses squash, but I changed it up to corn. It was a big hit at Thanksgiving.
- 10 cups water
- 3 large red bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise, remove stem & seeds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup chopped ripe tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 cup cubed 1/2-inch sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- You can use any color of bell pepper if you prefer. I prefer the sweeter red.
- In large pot or dutch oven bring water to a boil. In meantime, heat oven to 350°. Add cut & seeded peppers; return water to full boil. Cook for 5 minutes; remove peppers to paper towel to cool. In 10-inch skillet melt 2 tablespoons butter; add tomato, corn, salt, & basil. Cook stirring occasionally 3-5 minutes, until heated through. Stir in cheese. Mix well. Cheese does not have to be completely melted, will finish in oven. Place peppers in 13 X 9-inch baking pan. (May want to spray a bit of Pam in the pan for ease of removal.) Fill each one with about 1/2 cup vegie mixture. In small bowl stir together bread crumbs & butter. Sprinkle over vegie mixture. Bake 30 - 35 minutes or until heated through.
- NOTE: My sister added onions (about 1 medium chopped) to hers, I prefer not to have them, but this is an option.