Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I make this soup every spring, from store bought veggies, and watch my garden grow into the next batch. Feel free to add a touch of curry paste or miso to change the soup if you like. Another option is to use vegetable or chicken broth in place of the beef broth.
- 1 -2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium red bell peppers or 1 medium orange bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 small onion, cut into 16 wedges
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped medium
- 1 cup baby peas
- 3 (14 ounce) cans ready-to-serve beef broth (or 2 cans beef broth with 2 cans water)
- 1 dash red wine (optional)
- 1 cup uncooked cheese tortellini
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons oregano or 2 teaspoons tarragon (or a combo of two or three)
- 4 teaspoons tomato paste or 4 teaspoons ketchup
- 5 teaspoons slivered fresh herbs
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta
- In a good sized pan or dutch oven heat 1 t.
- of the oil over medium high heat.
- Saute the peppers, onions, and eggplant for 4 or 5 minutes, stirring often if not constantly.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, peas, tortellini, herbs and paste or ketchup.
- Bring to a boil,reduce heat to a simmer and cover for 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and cook another 10 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and offer the slivered herbs and cheese at the table.