Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I make this soup every spring, from store bought veggies, and watch my garden grow into the next batch. Feel free to add a touch of curry paste or miso to change the soup if you like. Another option is to use vegetable or chicken broth in place of the beef broth.
- 1 -2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium red bell peppers or 1 medium orange bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 small onion, cut into 16 wedges
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped medium
- 1 cup baby peas
- 3 (14 ounce) cans ready-to-serve beef broth (or 2 cans beef broth with 2 cans water)
- 1 dash red wine (optional)
- 1 cup uncooked cheese tortellini
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons oregano or 2 teaspoons tarragon (or a combo of two or three)
- 4 teaspoons tomato paste or 4 teaspoons ketchup
- 5 teaspoons slivered fresh herbs
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta
- In a good sized pan or dutch oven heat 1 t.
- of the oil over medium high heat.
- Saute the peppers, onions, and eggplant for 4 or 5 minutes, stirring often if not constantly.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, peas, tortellini, herbs and paste or ketchup.
- Bring to a boil,reduce heat to a simmer and cover for 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and cook another 10 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and offer the slivered herbs and cheese at the table.
I made this soup for my husband and three kids and they loved it. We even had enough left for lunch the next day and it was wonderul! Great recipe, easy to make and to taste so good. I recommend everyone try it. I am sending this recipe to everyone in my family!