Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 mins
Healthy Vegetarian Salad. Perfect for using up your garden veggies. From Plan B Organic Farm. Recipe must be chilled for atleast over night.
- 473.18 ml cooked lentils
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 236.59 ml fresh peas
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 9.85 ml ground cumin
- 1.23 ml salt
- 0.59-1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 118.29 ml of fresh mint or 118.29 ml fresh coriander, chopped
- Place lentils in a large salad bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan set over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and garlic. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in jalapeño, pepper and peas. Sauté for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add to lentils.
- In a bowl, whisk 1 tablespoon oil with lemon juice, cumin, salt and cayenne, if using. Stir into salad. Taste and add more salt, if needed.
- If making ahead, cover and refrigerate up to 2 days, then add fresh herbs, if using, just before serving.
This is fresh, delicious, and easy to make. I really enjoyed the combination of flavors. Mint is not something I would have normally added to a lentil dish, but it was perfect. I will definitely make this again!
What a tasty dish. I reduced the amount of cumin and fresh mint by half and it was perfect for us. My Lebanese BF said it reminded him of home :-) Thank you.
Congrats ! Your recipe was on our homepage last Friday as "The Recipe of the Day" (06/20/2011)