Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Nice light tuna sandwiches, served in pita halves. Great for a lighter lunch. Taken from the "Great Tasting Money Saving Meals" cookbook.
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna, drained (water packed)
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat monterey jack cheese, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup frozen peas, thawed and drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄3 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- 2 pita bread rounds, halved
- tomato, slices
- Place tuna in a large bowl; break into chunks.
- Add carrot, celery, cheese, peas and parsley; toss to blend.
- Pour dressing over mixture; toss lightly to coat.
- Place on piece lettuce and one tomatoe slice in each pita half.
- Fill pita halves with tuna mixture.
Wonderful! Loved how there was no mayo or mustard; a nice change. I used red onions intead of the green, diced zucchini for the peas & italian seasoning for the parsley. I also used reduced fat feta cheese instead of the cubed kind (all I had!). I skipped the celery since I had none. Served it with whole grain crackers but may try a slice of whole wheat bread next time. Great change from the ordinary! Thanks for sharing this.
I made this as a light dinner tonight and absolutely loved it! Great job!
Very tasty & very healthy! We enjoyed this for lunch the other day and will make it again & again! ZWT 3